Sunday, September 28, 2008

Gladys Kravitz Alert

In these post-burglary days, I mostly have moments of clarity.



Yesterday, though, I morphed into full-blown Gladys Kravitz, famed Bewitched neighborhood nuisance.

I'd spied an unfamiliar woman who’d been sitting at our intersection's curb for an hour, eyes on traffic flow, cellphone in hand. I guess she saw me – I mean, really, how could she not? I had pulled out a camera.

She apologized for spooking me, that she’d heard from her friend -- another neighbor -- about the burglary, knew it was fresh on my mind.

Right about then, the AAA truck arrived.

1 comment:

Kate Dudding said...

Dear Robin,

We haven't met, but I'm a storytelling friend of your mother's -- see http://ellouisestory.blogspot.com/2008/05/getting-out-of-town.html .

You were NOT acting like Gladys Kravitz, who was nosy just because she was nosy. You were acting like a responsible member of your neighborhood.

And you didn't even insult/upset the woman in the broken down car, since she knew of the robbery.

But it was a bit funny -- good for you that you can laugh at yourself, whether or not it's a day of clarity!

Kate Dudding